About Peak School
We are a nursery to 19, local authority run special school in the north west corner of Derbyshire. We cater for children and young adults with a whole range of needs, particularly those with profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), communication difficulties, and those with extremely challenging behaviour linked to their associated learning difficulties.
Most pupils at Peak work outside the National Curriculum and we are proud to offer an individualised curriculum which is built around our four key areas:
- Physical and Movement
- Emotional and Expressive Arts
- Accessing the World and Communication
- Knowledge and Know-how
We are located in a beautiful, rural environment in the village of Chinley, where we make full use of the local amenities and make a point of filling our curriculum with outdoor activities.
We also have a number of specialist on-site facilities and services:
- Hydrotherapy Pool
- Sensory rooms and Sensory Garden
- Fully equipped kitchen / catering learning environment for our post-16 pupils
- On site nurse, working with NHS therapy teams.
- Our location in north west Derbyshire, on the edge of the Peak District, means we are also accessible for pupils who may live in Cheshire, Stockport, Tameside (Greater Manchester) and also Sheffield.
We are currently Ofsted rated ‘Requires Improvement’ – with ‘Good’ for Behaviour and Welfare – and we are working hard to ensure we address the improvement points in our next inspection.